Monday, January 21, 2013

Multitool: Leatherman Wingman


While researching bug-out-bags, I found suggestions that a multitool would be a great item to pack.  I wholeheartily agree.  I have seen multitools carried by tradesman, sportsman, and firefighters.  The multiple functions of the device is like having many tools in one.  The multiple folding blades of the tools remind me of a Swiss Army knife, but the multitool usually features an additional plier function that sets it apart.

I went down to my local knife store and bought a Leatherman Wingman model.  Leatherman is a big name among multitools with a good reputation.  I have been pleased by the quality of the multitool so far.  The plier function has a spring that holds it open, a feature that is not found on some cheaper makes of multitool, and it covers needle nose pliers, regular pliers, and wire cutters.  The Wingman also features scissors, small and medium flat screwdrivers,  a philips screwdriver tip, a file, a bottle opener, a can opener, a package opener, an 1 1/2 inch ruler, and a 420 HC combo knife that locks securely in place.  The Wingman also has a belt clip on the tool and sheath is available.

The beauty of the multitool is that it is a convenient package.  I might prefer traditional screw drivers and scissors for serious work projects, but those would take up space in a bug-out-bag.  The multitool is no doubt a handy implement that I hope would serve me well should the Zombie Apocalypse ever happen.

No comments: